Friday, June 27, 2008

Prince Lev Nikolayevich Myshkin

Beauty'll save the world. (from Dostoevsky's Idiot) The prince's confidence could have been true, if only, beauty itself is saved from its death.

Prince Andrew's death(Tolstoy's War & Peace) didn't move me much, whereas my friends got considerably disturbed. So I took myself to have been better immunized against emotional stories. But while reading The Idiot, this is how I felt. Except the prince, everybody else is a 'Me'. Too complex and torturous and these are the kind of souls, whom we can never decide to be good or bad. I reckon myself belonging to this group. Prince who is new to live in a society, loves people. He is much pleased to forgive them when they call him an idiot and goes far to believe, they might be true in a way. He talks much better than an educated, though he is never formally educated and befriends all, who take him to a foe. I don't know, when I got impressed with the prince, I never found it until the prince asks Rogozhin with curiosity about the weapon he used for the murder, while, quite a different feeling is expected from him. My shawl got wet with tears. Never before, did it happen for a book. I know, I wasn't crying for anybody's death or the sad ending of the story, but for the pure goodness and the pity, the prince possessed for others. After finishing the book, I felt like, I had always been there at Epachin's and listened to the Prince talking about the capital punishment, the economical condition of Russia, and about the Beauty redeeming the world. Now I crazily hope, Evegenie Pavlovich will write to me about Prince's health, like he is doing to Vera Lebedeff.

I know, it is just a story, and a person like Prince, could never be born. Still, I fancy, Prince is not a character, but someone I met on my way. I hope, Beauty is not all dead. I hope, there are still few seeds left to be planted deep in the earth. I wish, beauty will reborn and shower its spell on everything. I hope, Beauty'll save the world.

No comments: