Tuesday, April 29, 2008

An Empty Stomach

Last night, I got into a 211 at around 9.30pm and was waiting for the driver and the conductor to start the bus. I luckily seated myself in a place where I could see the ugliness and the beauty that comes after.

A very lean man, not particularly dirty but without any linen to his upper body was trying to sleep in the bus stop. He was continuously groaning probably because of hunger and was fully in sweat where all else were enjoying the cool breeze of the summer night after a real hot day. To my surprise, he wasn't even begging, which he could have easily done as many were practicing the same keeping their pride aside. After the unsuccessful attempt to sleep, he sat down with his head up looking into the sky as if waiting for his last call.

I have seen many of these, and almost all the time thought of taking them with me to my house and to let them have a good bath, decent clothes and some food. But never did anything in real, though there was no reason that would stop me. This time also, I knew before hand, what I was going to think and how I would lay back doing nothing.

I observed a girl watching him from other bus, which stopped just next to ours. With her expressions, I learnt, she was also feeling like me. At first, she tried to avoid looking at him, but kept doing the same and looked like she was about to decide on something. Finally, she decided to get down and brought a cup of mango juice from a near by shop. By that time, her bus was about to leave. But she wasn't in hurry. That lean man was still groaning with his head over heels. She slowly patted him and gave him the juice. He was too weak to thank her and engaged himself in drinking as fast as he can. She got into our bus and sat next to me. He finished his juice and started looking for that girl with a feeble glow in his eyes. But she didn't see him anymore.

I wanted to talk to her, but I didn't know how to start it and you know my stranger-o-phobia? While getting down the bus, I said "That's nice of you." and she just replied me a with smile, I wouldn't forget and probably would torture me all my life.

5 comments:

Sowmya Ram said...

Wonderfully put sweety... I know what is going in your heart this time... you know something -I am proud to be your friend... not many appreciate the good in others...

Anonymous said...

why does the label say "Half-lie"

Anonymous said...

did it really happen, btw ?

- chaitanya Pasupala

2lc said...

Sowmya,
I learnt it from you dear!

Hi Rakesh,
It is not actually half-lie, but only a 10% lie. She didn't sit next to me and I didn't say anything to her. But it happened in a kind of way, I cannot explain.

and Chaitanya,
Yes.

Anonymous said...

hi thulsi
excellent