Friday, July 17, 2009

This can't be a story!

Nashi has been reading Romeo and Juliet ever since Chichikov brought it for her. Every time I ask(beg is a better word) her to finish that and give it to me, she would divert me so cleverly reading few lines out of the book and telling me how beautifully things are exaggerated. She must have told me about Romeo's description of Rosaline for some twenty times. Now I don't think I'll enjoy this part when I read it myself.

Recently, when I asked her how far she read, she has suddenly become excited and told me "It can't be a story. It must have happened to Shakespeare himself or otherwise to someone very close to him." I was surprised for usually we hear people saying "This can't be true!" if they don't see a possible mapping to the society they live in or they would say "This must be based on a real incident" if they can see a close mapping. But the way Nashi declined to accept that it is a story made me laugh.

She tells me "For someone who haven't read it, the sketches of Romeo and Juliet will be quite deviated from the real ones. They are very natural. They think just like you and me. If their love is considered true and great, ours shall be no less to them."

I mused over this for some time and got to this reasoning. R & J's love is great because love gets its honor only after death.

1 comment:

Tehzeeb said...

Lovers get the honor after death. Love gets its honor when someone falls for it ;).