Monday, January 11, 2010

Nagamandala

Nagamandala, Written by Girish Karnad, Directed by Ram Mohan Holagundi.

This play is not for general crowd (which pitifully includes me) who would enjoy the slapstick humour though one never believes in it for true. Not for them, who may actually sympathise with the misery but would be anxious to cover it in the cheek twitches of guffaws. This is for the real art lovers who would want to enjoy the confusion of the protagonist by her husband's dual personality, his don't-ask-me-why's and when he asks her to keep her pregnancy a secret from himself.

Attractions:
1. Mrunal, who acted as Karudavva is superb. She has got a very strong voice and a very distinct expression.
2. Playwright (Ashutosh) and Story wearing the song(Sowmya) roles are small but lively.
3. The little boy who acted as dog seemed to have done proper research on dogs.
4. Occasional dances of the 'flames'

Drawbacks:
1. Repetitive scenes and felt dragging in the middle. I think, Ram didn't take any liberty to cut it short from the novel.
2. Though English is universal, Telugu or Hindi translations would have been excellent.

Moral of the story:
In Story's words, People would accept a woman either as slave or as a Goddess, but never an equal.

To my surprise, the owner of a random blog, I have been following for an year or so, was there last night and had complained about our kind of group in his post. Sorry Sir! Thanks to all my friends, who came along with me for the show and been through the two endings of the story.

1 comment:

Srishti said...

woow.. thats interesting.. Last time I remember I went to a play was with my 2 best friends.. and we went to see Sowmya..